Articles

Vol.6, No.1 | [Book Review] War and Memory in Lebanon

첨부파일

본문

Abstract

I’ve taken an interest in the status quo of politics in Lebanon because there have been so many incidents like the assassination of Rafic Hariri, the former Prime Minister of Lebanon, in 2005, the war between Hezbollah and Israel in 2006, Hezbollah’s intervention in the Syrian civil war at this moment, etc. I was astonished to watch those who were treated as war criminals after the Lebanese civil war, like Michel Aoun and Samir Geagea, resuming their political activity around the mid 2000s (You’ll be inspired by Chapter 6 Sectarian memory cultures). Seeing them, I thought that in fact sectarianism might have something to do with the unique Lebanese social culture, which has stuck to its feudal patriarchy in the end. Furthermore, I thought this phenomenon could appear to be strengthened and stabilized because there is ideological support from ‘the religious leaders’. I judged that the cause of these endless conflicts in the country we are diagnosing would be the social culture of feudal patriarchy, not the sectarianism. This book provides a sound and logical foundation for the above-stated belief. That is collective amnesia.

Keywords : Book Review