Articles

Vol.6, No.2 | [Articles] Ashdod Ware Found at Khirbet Qeiyafa and Its Implications for Understanding the Tradition of Philistine Decorated Pottery

첨부파일

본문

Abstract

This paper aims to present Ashdod Ware newly found at Khirbet Qeiyafa in the 2009-2010 seasons and to examine its implications for understanding the tradition of Philistine decorated pottery. Based on the Ashdod Ware found at Khirbet Qeiyafa, I argue that 1) Ashdod Ware can be subdivided into two phases: Ashdod Ware I and Ashdod Ware II, and 2) the decorated ceramic tradition of the Philistines from Iron Age I to Iron Age IIB (12th - 8th century BCE) can be subdivided into four different phases and can be understood as a battleship curve rather than as sequential (contra Ben-Shlomo et al. 2004). In addition, I tried to figure out the distribution of archaeological sites revealing Ashdod Ware I: it was first known only in Philistia and the Negev in the second half of the 11th century BCE and later it expanded to the north (Jezreel Valley and Beth Shean Valley) and to the east (Central Highlands) in the 10th century BCE.

Keywords : Philistine, Ashdod Ware, Khirbet Qeiyafa, Iron Age, Pottery